Monday 9 April 2012

New Year's Resolutions Revisited

Namaste Everyone!
If you're like me and you're living in Nepal then you know this is an awesome time of year to embrace East & West.

In Western society, most people frantically begin making New Year's resolutions around the last week of December. After all, the holidays usually get the best of us and we tend to over indulge in meals rich with creams, unhealthy carbs and pretty much anything else that has a horribly high glycemic index. In the East, particularly in Nepal, festivals with deserts heavy in sugar (kheer, rasbarri, laalmon, rasmalai, jilebi, etc.) reign supreme throughout the entire year. It is very easy to fall off the healthy bandwagon, especially in Nepal where families tend to take offense if you are watching what you eat.

Well, fret not fellow residents of Nepal. Whether you are an expat or a native, this Thursday, April 12th, 2012 is officially the Nepali New Year's Eve. What better opportunity to re-set any failed resolutions that may have fallen by the wayside around mid-January?

I first fell in love with Yoga once I realized how much stronger I felt. A skinny little 18 year old girl whose legs literally shook every time I tried to hold Downward Facing Dog pose, I soon grew muscles and was able to go from Plank to Chatturanga with such ease I began feeling comfortable in the gym doing non-modified manly push-ups! Who would've guessed it? Surely, not my former self.

My self-practice grew and so did my studies. I started reading books by BKS Iyengar, watching DVDs, going to different studios to learn under a variety of teachers... and then somewhere along the way I began teaching myself. Two, sometimes three classes a day. I stopped learning anything new and my own practice dwindled down to about 15 minutes on my mat. Most of the time I have to confess I only thought about teaching...

"Hey! This would be a killer set to include on Thursday night's class!"

...Well, yogi-bears, it's time now for me to set a New Year's Resolution. In the New Year I will take a minimum of 3 classes a week as a student. I want to fall in love with Yoga all over again and deepen my practice to regain a sense of balance that has been missing for several months now.

Who's in?

Much love & Happy Down Dogs,
Roshani

No comments:

Post a Comment