Friday 25 November 2011

Power Yoga in Nepal: Release the power within

Power yoga is the new rage in Kathmandu. This vigorous fitness-based yoga approach on music is challenging and fun and works on both physical and mental levels.


Roshani Adhikary taught Power Yoga in the US and has come to Kathmandu to teach daily Power Yoga classes at the new yoga studios at Kantipath and Patan. She tells us more about this popular style of yoga and why it is so good for us.


What is Power Yoga?

Power Yoga is a style of yoga. The term Power Yoga became popular in the in the mid 1990s, when several yoga teachers were looking for a way to make Asthanga Yoga more accessible for western students. Unlike Ashtanga, power yoga does not follow a set series of poses. Therefore, any power yoga class can vary widely from the next. What they have in common is an emphasis on strength and flexibility, instead of the gentle stretching and meditation commonly associated with yoga.

So compared to other styles of yoga, my power yoga classes are more physically challenging and intense and do not follo

w a rigid system. Each class has a different focus, and the different poses increase your strength and flexibility gradually. The body heat you generate during the class works is detoxifying. And after the class you feel like you can conquer anything!





How did you come a Power Yoga teacher?


My parents did yoga since I can remember, but their yoga practice was more meditation and sitting and breathing. For me this was and still is more challenging than the most difficult poses in power yoga! I find it really hard to sit still and not fall asleep. I admire people that can do it, but I need the physical challenge.


It was only in my mid twenties that I really got into yoga. I moved from the UK to the US in the middle of the recession. Not being able to find work was a very stressful experience for me. In Power Yoga I found a release for that stress, and I finally even managed to make it my work.

I never had focus before doing yoga, and I find that yoga really helped me develop concentration and awareness. Now if I do not do my yoga practice in the morning I really miss it, the day is different without it and I feel restless. The balancing poses on the mat help with building up my concentration and give me confidence and balance in daily life too.


Is Power yoga for everybody?


The moves in power yoga are not complex and there are adjustments for different levels, so anyone can join the classes. However, power yoga will most likely appeal to people who enjoy exercising, and want a minimal amount of chanting and meditation with their yoga. As you gain strength through your practise you can progress to the more advance versions of the different poses.


The benefits of power yoga are not only physical; on a mental and emotional level the classes bring you calmness because of the awareness that is needed to hold the poses and the synchronisation of movement with the breath.


Does Power Yoga help you loose weight?


Power yoga gives you a challenge, and changes your perspective on yourself and on life. You become more aware of the magical workings of your body, and this new respect helps you accept your body, but also at the same time makes you want to adopt a healthier lifestyle.


A regular power yoga practise definitely trims and increases your muscles. You sleep better too. But a balanced diet and daily exercise are essential if you want to loose weight permanently and have a healthy life.


For people that work behind the computer all day power yoga is a great way to relieve back and neck pains, release stress and lift your energy levels.


There are daily Power Yoga classes at Pranamaya Yoga Studios. For more information and class schedules please visit the website: www.pranamaya-yoga.com.

1 comment:

  1. It is really interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them.


    Gym and fitness Centers in Mohali
    Fitness gym in Mohali
    Aerobics Classes in Mohali

    ReplyDelete